Tom Cruise asked his parents to give him ten years to see if he could make a go of his then non-existent acting career. About five years into it, he got a small role that got him noticed…
James Cameron (Director of big movies like Alien, the Terminator series, Titanic) wrote 15 years ago that when he began his film career, directing a major movie like Alien – well –
“That would have been the end goal of my life, that I would have been willing to work toward for forty years.””
Charlie X, an old bud and network marketer, called me today because his fast growing company needed a kick-butt trainer. He mentioned that oh, btw, “I’m now earning $20,000/week. That’s a million a year.” Then he added “It took me five years. Full time and then some. And now I am there. And now we need you to train the others to get the skill sets.”
No one asked YOU to wait forty years for success, did they? Or ten? Isn’t it usually “in 90 days” that they offer you success?
Bottom line: Before you quit the business, make sure you actually began it. Here’s what that means you have learned how to do drunk or sober, day or night:
1. Identify and seek out YOUR audience.
2. Know which online and offline approaches work for you, to reach them. Use approaches and language that is consistent with who you are (not some upline or other person whom you are not)
3. Stand out by taking advantage of who YOU are (you need never act like you’re someone else)
4. Talk the way YOU talk, in YOUR voice, so that others who are waiting for you, hear your call
5. Tantalize folks with language that is FTC safe, yet excites them about the possibilities of joining the business with you.
6. Describe the money in 2-3 sentences that any 13-year old can understand.
7. Describe the product you market in language any 13-year old can understand.
8. Bring your ego. You’ll need it. Otherwise you won’t think that what you’ve done, or what you have to offer, will be of interest to others.
9. Give yourself at least five years to systematically test and do these things until you become super skilled like a Navy Seal or professional tennis player.
A network marketers with such advanced skills will be in charge of her own future. You ready?
I am teaching a recruiting class starting December 2. Because end of the year is a super time to recruit right peeps.
It is 4.5 hours. Three 90-minute sessions over the phone. Together. Not five years, or ten years. But this seminar gets you started with an appreciation of the kinds of skills most recruiters gloss over. We all know that like Tom Cruise, anyone can NOT do that. Else why don’t they?
Want to begin again?
Sign up for the recruiting class here.
P.S. Do you have the Art of Recruiting program? Christmas and New Year’s are my favorite times of the year to recruit…but there’s a trick to it. 🙂